5.30.2009

This is my "Jam"

I love the tartness of rhubarb. I will eat it raw. The fibrous texture allows me to chew on it, kinda like a cow's cud. I make this rhubarb-vanilla bean jam at the beginning of every summer and at the end because it is pretty available from June - August in the Northwest. If I am feeling generous, I will can it and keep it for gifts during the holidays, but most often it ends up on my toast. Its super easy and quick to create and makes a PB&J very special for a toddler. It is also good as a dessert sauce or drizzled on vanilla bean ice cream.

Rhubarb-Vanilla Bean Jam
Makes approx 1 1/2 quarts
3 lbs rhubarb stalks (approx 6 large stalks), rinsed
1 lb Sugar (approx 2 1/2 cups)
1 Vanilla bean


Slice rhubarb stalks down the center, and then slice into cubes.
In a thick bottomed pan, cover the rhubarb with sugar and let sit for 30 minutes at room temp. This is when I do all my snacking...



Slice the vanilla bean down the center, scrape the seeds, and stir all into the rhubarb. Turn heat to medium-low and stir occasionally for 45 minutes to one hour. Jam will be slightly chunky and runny.



Pour jam (with vanilla bean) into a clean glass jar. Let the jam cool at room temp and keep in the fridge for up to one month or until you are scraping the sides of the jar for the last taste.

2 comments: