6.20.2009

Mama Bird


I believe cooking is art. I think that is why I get so much pleasure out of other mediums of art as well. Its just the way my mind works. I consider other forms of art that I partake in, a hobby. I do it for my own satisfaction. I absolutely love creating something tangible from just an idea in my mind. I go through a similar process when cooking. I get inspiration from a number of places and I can practically taste the dish in my mouth, just like I have an idea of what a painting will look like when I'm finished with it. Often times the best dishes are the quick last minute ones that were initailly made to just full your belly or the unplanned pieces of art. That said, the food or the artwork always has a small change or surprise that I hadn't thought of. I used to say I like creating something from 'nothing'. But 'nothing' doesn't do justice to the number of tool boxes I have filled with acrylic paints and brushes, yards of fabric, spools of thread and knitting yarn, the extra clay I bring home from my wheel throwing classes or my jam packed pantry filled with ingredients I cannot wait to experiment with and taste. I try to create beautiful things because I love to be surrounded by beautiful and meaningful things that were made with love. "What's for dinner?" inspires and challenges me to make something beautiful to eat. That is why I love it so much. Here is my most recent painting. My daughter Ryanne was the initial inspiration for me because of her love of birds...but the fun surprise was, I think it turned out to be an unplanned self portrait.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool painting! I don't think it's scary at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous, Kristen! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the painting finally. Beautiful. I love the blue tones..amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. This painting is SO cool!! I wish I saw it at your place. Nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete